Pages

Thursday, October 9, 2014

Our Anniversary Baby :: Part One

Anniversary Date Night 2014

On the October 16th, I had a doctor’s appointment. Dr. Poindexter, my gynecologist and the absolute BEST at what he does, had a conversation with me about conception, my ovulation dates, our plans for children and so on. We had a conversation about my August ovulation dates and he quickly indicated that it was quite possible that I could be pregnant.  I ovulated a day or two after our five-year anniversary – so this is an anniversary baby!
After my appointment, I brushed it off, walked out of his office, and rushed back to work. 
After missing on the 18th, I figured something could be up.  Not pregnancy, though.  Unlike my normal self, I didn’t go into a state of panic. I figured that I was just late or missed my cycle all together – which is still unusual for me. Let’s not mention the near-fainting incident that occurred while talking on the phone with my cousin Chut. Fainting is a general symptom of pregnancy.
On September 21, I woke up with terrible cramps that carried over from the week before. I was grumpy as a goat and couldn’t break away from the heating pad.  I was up pretty early to let my dog out and to call my mom like every morning at 7AM.  First, I went to the bathroom and noticed something that indicated I needed to do a little investigating.
I decided to take a pregnancy test.  Ken was asleep, so I went to the guest bathroom downstairs. As I proceeded to do the ‘do’ on the stick, the positive appeared before I could put the cap on and place it on a flat surface. Wait, a positive?!?!
In case you didn’t know, at times, I can be a bit dramatic.  I ran to the garage and started to cry. The garage? Really? Funny!  I sat on the front of our truck and cried.  Once I pulled myself together, I went upstairs to share the news with Ken. When I sat down on the bed, he instantly knew that something was up.  I proceeded to tell him that I took the test.  Once I felt that dry gulp in my throat, I stopped talking.  He assumed that the test was negative.  I started to cry again. He hugged me and ensured that everything would be okay. Once I pulled myself together, I told him that it was positive. We’ve beamed with happiness ever since!
So far, I’ve experienced food aversions, I can smell like a K-9, extreme fatigue, insomnia, and occasional nausea (no vomiting).  My eating habits are bipolar.  For example, I’ll crave peach cobbler. Twenty minutes later, I don’t want to smell it, look at it, or want it near me.  As a matter of fact, I don’t want it in the house!  I can’t get enough of spaghetti and orange juice.  I hate fried foods and loathe salt and candy. Prior to pregnancy I was a veggie lover.  Really big on juicing, eating clean and staying away from carbs.  This first trimester rocked my world and I can’t stand the smell of veggie juice. 
The gas is absolutely sinful, unreal, painful, and unbearable.
Back to the story.  I called my doctor and went for blood work immediately that week. My HCG levels were through the roof. While there, I cried on my nurse’s shoulder.  We’re cool like that. It was one big scene in the hallway with my doctor, husband, and other nurses congratulating me.  No worries…it was tears of happiness.
Ken and I have theorized that it’ll be a boy based on the strong heartbeat and healthy appetite, LOL. It’s definitely too early to know and although I’m excited about this entire process, the most important thing to me isn’t the gender but the health of my baby and making sure that I get the proper nutrients for my little munchkin.
I made 7 weeks on October 7. My projected due date is May 26th. That’s three days before my mother’s birthday (29th) and three weeks after my sister-in-law’s birthday (6th). How ironic?! 
BTW, as of today, October 9th, my mother is the only other person that knows.  A girl needs her mom in the first pregnancy. There’s no way I could not tell her. I need her!
I feel so blessed that God chose us for this purpose. I’m super excited about having a relationship with our child that emulates the close relationship that we have with our parents. I’m even more excited that this process has allowed my husband and me to draw closer to God in prayer about the baby’s health, being Christian parents, trusting God on this parenting journey, teaching our child what loving Jesus (and others) really looks like.
We, as a family, decided that we’d share the good news of our pregnancy after the first trimester. People are forever in my uterus asking why we haven’t had kids (annoying and rude). Other than the fact that it’s “Brown” business, having a child is such a beautiful blessing that truly happens in God’s timing and should be celebrated and/or discussed when the couple chooses.
On that note, I promise to divulge all of the details of the rest of this trimester in the next entry.  I’ll also tell you more about the announcement cards and gifts we purchased for our family and friends. This is such an exciting time.

No comments:

Post a Comment